Groups can be used to control access to printers and deploy printers based on users’ group membership.
How to work with groups
- How to enable Azure AD groups
- How to enable Google groups
- How to add groups to a print queue
- Groups page
- Group properties, Print queues tab
- Group properties, Users tab
- Azure AD groups
- Users’ membership of groups is maintained in Microsoft Azure (portal.azure.com)
- Groups are synchronized automatically every 20 minutes. Only changes are synchronized.
- Open Active Directory to manage users and groups.
- Enable dynamic memberships to manage memberships through the rules you specify.
- Please refer to the Microsoft Azure AD documentation.
- Google groups
- Print queues
- Print queue/group membership is maintained in Printix Administrator by adding groups to print queues.
- A print queue that has Add print queue automatically checked for one or more groups, will be added automatically to the computer, when a user in any of those groups signs in.
- A print queue that has Exclusive access checked for one or more groups, can be accessed ONLY by the users in any of those groups.
- A print queue that does not have Exclusive access checked for any group, can be accessed by all users.
- Printing to a print queue without access will result in a message like: Print to BNM is not allowed.
Access to print queues is obviously also subjected to restrictions imposed by networks.
Exclusive access examples
Shows how access to print queues within a network can be controlled for five users, four print queues (ASD, BNM, CVB, and DFG) and three groups (G1, G2 and G3).
- Jane (member of the groups G1 and G2) is allowed to use print queue: ASD, BNM, CVB, and DFG.
- Paul (member of the group G1) is allowed to use print queue: ASD, BNM, and DFG.
- Mary (member of the groups G2 and G3) is allowed to use print queue: ASD, CVB, and DFG.
If Mary attempts to print to the BNM print queue she will see the message: Print to BNM is not allowed.
- John (member of the group G3) can use print queue: DFG.
- Bob (not a member of any group) can use print queue: DFG.